30.7.08

Dao more shei kaan (Give me the ears for it)

I've got this song, "Praan," in heavy rotation on my iPod. Evidently I'm not the only one who's getting a brain worm from it. The song just spent some weeks at number one in Amazon's soundtrack bestseller list. Apparently there's a ringtone out there, too.

You may recognize "Praan" as the soundtrack to Where the Hell Is Matt?.

I'm not usually this passionate about pop songs, so I'm not sure why this one has stuck. To be sure, it is a joyful song, sung hauntingly by Palbasha Siddique. Beyond that, I don't know. At least it's not Hansen. (If you still remember the brain worm you got from their inexplicable 1997 hit, or even if you don't, you won't want to click that link.)

The song is based on the poem "Stream of Life" by Rabindranath Tagore. Here it is:

The same stream of life that runs through my veins night and day runs through the world and dances in rhythmic measures.

It is the same life that shoots in joy through the dust of the earth in numberless blades of grass and breaks into tumultuous waves of leaves and flowers.

It is the same life that is rocked in the ocean-cradle of birth and of death, in ebb and in flow.

I feel my limbs are made glorious by the touch of this world of life.
And my pride is from the life-throb of ages dancing in my blood this moment.


(translated by Tagore)

"Praan" means "life, breath, devotion."